I really enjoyed this week's article on Never Say Anything a Kid Can Say! I liked how the author gave tips and strategies that were student-centered and problem based approaches. Students need to be able to explain their thinking to learn and teachers should do the listening part. The one strategy that I really liked was point 3 on page 480, use more process questions than product questions. We want our students to stretch their thinking. Teachers need to ask questions that require more thinking rather than just a yes or no response.
In class, we worked with partners to solve three algebraic problems. These problems allowed us to share our thinking and to learn from each other. When I was stuck with a problem, my partner helped me understand the question better and we worked together to come up with an answer. It was fun seeing how other colleagues solved the problem. I feel that we can learn so much from each other and it's important for us to build a safe community for us to share our ideas and thinking.
No comments:
Post a Comment